The Right Time For An
No Later Than Age 7.
Even though most people think of pre-teens when they think of orthodontics, there are good reasons your child should get an orthodontic evaluation much sooner. The American Association of Orthodontics recommends an orthodontic check-up no later than age 7.
Why Your Child Should Get An
Orthodontic Check-Up No Later Than Age 7:
1. Orthodontists can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth
while some baby teeth are still present.
2. While your child's teeth may appear to be straight there could be a problem
that only an orthodontist can detect.
3. The check-up may reveal that your child's bite is fine. Often, the orthodontist
will identify a potential problem but monitoring the child's growth
and development, and then, if indicated, begin treatment at the right time
for the child. In other cases, the orthodontist might find a problem that can benefit
from early treatment.
4. Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may
make treatment a later age shorter and less complicated.
5. In some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that wouldn't be
possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
6. Early treatment may give your orthodontist the chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve overall appearance
To find out if your child is a candidate for early interceptive treatment, contact us today to schedule a complimentary consultation.